Monday, November 29, 2004

A Eulogy

"These days, these days.
These days I seem to think about
How all the changes came about my ways
And I wonder if I'll see another highway." -Nico

These lyrics come from the song "These Days" by Nico and I came across them in the movie "The Royal Tenenbaums." Tonight, the only thing I can reference is that movie.
Today, I learned that my step-aunt, Marsha, passed away. She had been struggling in a battle with Crohn's disease, and I'm fairly sure complications relating to that are what caused her death. I'd like to think that her death was untimely, but the unfortunate truth was that we lost touch years ago, so her death could have happened years from now and it would have made just about the same impact it does now.
I think the best way that I can characterize Aunt Marsha was that she was a female version of Royal Tenenbaum. She was bright, but was never really able to hold a job for too long. She loved her family, but seemed to mistreat them in a way that only she could sympathize with. She didn't bring our family together based on a fake disease, like the movie version of Royal did, yet she had incredible talent and vibrance, like the movie version of Royal did.
It's hard to describe what I'll miss the most about my aunt. The last significant time I remember seeing her was many years ago. What is significant is that the battles between our families have left two dead. We're not a huge family. And two is a large number. What I will miss about my aunt is that there is now no chance for the two sides to make peace with Marsha being a player in the negotiations. I will miss her presence. Though, I will miss that side of the family getting together for holidays and occasions more than just the physical existence of Aunt Marsha.

Whether some will admit it or not, you will be missed, Aunt Marsha.

No comments: