Friday, January 02, 2004

What will people say at my funeral?

People often consider, "what will people say at my funeral?" My response to that question has always been, and may always be, "why does it matter? Hopefully, that's a long time from now, and I won't even be conscious enough to understand what ya'll are saying. So, why spend time dwelling on it?" The original question, however, was brought to my attention again today. Not from a friend asking me, but my thought process today led me to it.
Today, I went to the funeral service for Ben Zoloto, father of a family friend, Bonnie Graff. I was an acquaitence with Ben a number of years ago, but in his later years, our paths just never crossed. The sad thing is that people who knew him his entire life, friends and his children, were giving the standard cliche eulogy. This is not because Ben didn't "light up the room he was in;" it's true, this did happen. The things they said could have been about nearly anyone, unless they were rather dull, to be blunt. (bad pun. . . I know) It's unfortunate to me that here was this amazing person, and what they were saying was completely impersonal. With the exception of a few, namely Bonnie and Cantor Berstein, there was nothing incredibly specific and unique that would separate this funeral from some other random person's. But Ben was special. Ben deserved more Bonnies and Cantor Bersteins.
And that is what I want people to say at my funeral. I don't want the words "lit up a room whenever he entered it" to appear in anyone's eulogy, even if it is true. I'd like to think that the people I am closest with are more creative and have more adjectives and descriptive phrases about me than the cliches. At a time of greaving and heavy-heartedness, the last thing people want is more heaviness in their life. Cliches are jokes. To everything there is a time. Jokes are okay in their time. A eulogy is not oft one of those times. Keep the cliches for another occasion, and speak from your heart. Your loved ones in heaven and earth will thank you for it.

No comments: