Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Life Update

It's been a while since I've updated, and it's been a while since I rode the Yolo County bus. So now, I'm on the Yolo bus, on the way to the airport to purchase my spring break plane ticket:-). Good thing about flying standby: free flights. Bad thing: you have to go to the airport to redeem them(at least for America West...Continental was much better...yes, I have to fly both for this trip...) Where to start?
Classes. Classes are really pretty good. I can't complain about them. In every class, there's at least one thing that entices me to pursue my studies in that course. In Macroecon, our lectures are pretty bad. She goes over almost exactly what the book says, but does not speak very clearly. I usually zone out and do something else between powerpoint slides. Like today, for example: I wrote an AppleScript(mini-application, basically) that will launch my mail program, weather reports, and the first five web sites I always go to in the morning. (okay, you REALLY want to know what they are? You're gonna think I'm a dork. But if you are reading this, you probably think that already. 1) facebook, 2) NFTY mail, 3) NYTimes, 4) MacUpdate(software stuff), 5) macrumors.com) This way, I'll not only wake up to my favorite music, courtesy of iAlarm, I also will get my mail, news, and weather! stellar. woot for being bored in Econ. Anyway, the part that actually makes the class worth while is our discussion section. The TA is awesome. Last week, we looked at why it would be more profitable for a poppy grower in Afghanistan to make seeds than heroin. Awesome. Poli Sci (comparative politics) is pretty good. Horrible discussion section(the teacher thinks she's giving out her own grade on a 100 point scale...when it's only 10 percent of our grade, and being there each time gets us 5 percent of that. participation in discussion is another 5 percent. so she's giving stuff that doesn't matter in her scale. oh well.), but the lectures are really interesting. The way I learn a topic is that I try to relate it to something I already know. Like NFTY. I've been using NFTY as a way of comparing governments. It's kinda weird to explain. For example, it's difficult to classify NFTY into a particular class of government because we don't really have districts. We do have regions, but it's not equal member-to-delegate distribution. Also, in NFTY, the representatives are more like trustees than delegates. Point is that I learn about governments by using the NFTY general board as an example. I'm thinking of doing my senior thesis as an analyzation of NFTY as a case-study of a government. More on that in a few years. Back to classes. Intro to Judaism is pretty entertaining. I'm learning a lot more about the history of the Jewish people and getting a better foundation on which to make my cases. All in all, not too bad. Pretty easy, but I'm okay with that. Last, my favorite class: Intro to Music Literature. I really think I'm one of the luckiest guys on campus. I get to start every monday, wednesday, and friday learning about classical music. It's such an awesome class. We've been learning about very basic elements of music (texture, dynamics, overall sound, instrumentation) and I'm now able to get so much more out of music. I just hope these lessons will carry over to my song writing. Speaking of which...
I recently uploaded my music to a web site. As of earlier today, people had played these four songs over 200 times. I've never been so happy about my music. I'm really excited that now, I have a really good portal to get my music out to the public. The ease of this has inspired me to write and record more. So expect to see some new songs on there soon. Hopefully, I'll be compiling an album by the end of the school year. (of course, I say this now...)
NFTY is fantastic. I just went to NY for a meeting and am very excited to go to my first travel region, NFTY-MI at the end of this month. I'm spending Thursday night with the Rolnicks which should be fun, then working the event the rest of the weekend. I'm so excited! Also, my project for convention is coming together REALLY well! If you're going to convention and want an awesome workshop, come to "Putting the 'C' back into RCVP." No idea who's teaching it, but I heard it's gonna be a lot of fun;-) Can't wait.
Besides that, I'm more smitten than ever. I get through the days because I look forward to the evenings. Sometimes, I even get lucky and I don't have to wait 'till evening. It's great though. Every time I look at my desktop, there's a picture that just makes me smile. I am so content with life because of this.
Alright, back to the bus. Hope everyone's been having a wonderful few weeks!
Also, just because I'm a nut, check out the ipod shuffle and mac mini. Now, no one can say "I can't get a mac...they're too expensive..." because you can get an equivilant mac for the same price as a PC. Boo yah. The ipod shuffle is just damn cool. I'll explain why it's great in another post.
Deep breath, and I'm off.

No comments: