Wednesday, January 05, 2005

First Day of Class

Today, UC Davis had our first day of classes in our Winter 2005 quarter. Woot.
My first class of the day is Music 10, Introduction to Music Literature. It seems like it will be a really great class. It forces me to listen and study classical music to start my Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Awesome. Today, we looked at Aaron Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man". We looked at it in a very broad sense, not getting into too much detail; basic rhythms, reasons for various notes and intervals, and instrumentation.
After a break at home, I went off to my second class: Religious Studies 23, Introduction to Judaism. First off, my professor isn't a great group leader, and the class seems SOOOO easy. Beyond one of the books being a repeat from a class last quarter, one of the assignments for an upcoming class is "Be able to define mitzvah and halakhah." Please sir can I have some more? Should be an interesting tongue-biter. Oh man...I could go on, but it'd take way more energy than the class is worth.
Fortuantely, because of my schedule, I have a one hour break between Judaism and Poli Sci. So I just used that time to get some emailing and this entry done. Off to Poli Sci!
First off, the class room reminds me of the class room in "Young Frankenstein." It's almost eery. I keep hearing Gene Wilder shouting "My Grandfather's work was DOO DOO! I am not concerned with death! I am only concerned with the preservation of LIFE!"(Said, of course, as he jabs a scalpel into his thigh) Ah observation. Good times. The professor kinda looks like my middle school English teacher, Mrs. Moore. I know it's not her, but it's still pretty weird. It's like how last quarter, my English teacher looked like my Aunt Patty. Weird. It's a continuing theory/fear of mine: that I'm living something similar to "The Truman Show." I know I'm not, but there are times when people just look too alike. Looking around, I don't recognize anyone in the class. New faces are always good. Stark contrast from Intro to Judaism, where I knew just about 15% of the class; and in a class of about 40 or 50, that's a considerable amount. She started talking, and she doesn't remind me of Mrs. Moore anymore. Class was kinda cool...it was like my last poli sci class: the Prof. explained the powerpoint slides in more detail, and I did random organizational stuff on my computer...awesome. Should be in an interesting class...we're going to be covering the rise of democratization in a post-cold war world. real chill. haha...that was a good one.
The good news about my schedule this quarter is that my day ends at 4 every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. No night classes!!! I think I might do some good reading, or go to dinner at a normal hour, or maybe, just maybe, indulge in the resurection of Iyun T'fillah...eh, who am I kidding? it won't happen for a few years...gotta start somewhere though, no?
All in all, good first day. Too bad it was so gloomy outside, but it's Davis. Kinda goes with the territory between November and late February. Woo Ags!

No comments: