Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Just Call Me Murphy

Murphy's law states that if anything can go wrong, it will. Murphy planned my trip to Florida.
If I started getting into what the flights and everything were supposed to be, I will just get more frustrated and keep typing incessantly until my hands fall off. Therefore, just read the rest of this with the knowledge that it was originally simpler. Not by much, but two modes of transportation were added that weren't part of the original plan.
Wednesday:
Airport Shuttle picks me up at 7:15 AM. Got on an America West flight from Sac to Phoenix, then Phoenix to Tampa, FL. Before boarding in Phoenix, they told our flight that they were offering $400 America West dollars, and two nights hotel in Vegas to take the red-eye from Vegas on Friday night. If I had more flexible plans and I hadn't already gone through so much, I TOTALLY would have taken it up and probably flown someone in to keep me company, 'cause that'd be awesome. Anyway, didn't take it and went to Tampa. I got to the airport, checked into the Howard Johnson(yeah...don't talk about it...) and ate at Wendy's. I mention it because on the way to Wendy's and back, I saw the strangest things. First, the liquor store next to the hotel was called "ABC Liquor" with ABC in child blocks style. Their sign also said "Special order no problem". Okay, so you want to go to the liquor store for your favorite spirit, and they special order it. You still walk out that night without your booze. I thought it was amusing...then again, I'm only on a few hours of sleep. Second, there was a Sweet Tomatoes restaurant (ie: Souplantation for places where "Soup" or "plantation" have bad connotations). Kinda random, but nothing more than that. Third, as I crossed the street, a Ford Ranger burned rubber and sped off when the light turned, leaving a plumb of smoke. I wasn't so much confused about the burning rubber and dragging as much as I was confused that it was a Ford Ranger. I mean, I'd expect a Mustang to do that, or some other sports car. But a Ranger? Dude, go off-roading or something if you want to fuck up your tires. Fourth, I was in line at Wendy's and a girls high school tennis team was ordering. They were in town for a tournament. Again, not too odd, but just kinda random. Fifth, as I was walking back to the hotel, a car turned and I noticed it was dragging something. It was caution tape. The car got caught up with some caution tape and it was now dragging it. Rather awkwardly too. So random.
Thursday:
Ally and I woke up and took the hotel shuttle to the train station to get to Miami. This shuttle was the most unorganized thing ever. It says in the hotel literature, it's 8 dollars and runs often. I asked the woman at the front desk the night before when I checked in, and it was as if I had just made the shuttle up; she had no clue. The next day, there was a little less confusion, but we eventually got to the station. When I asked the driver how much it was, he replied that I only need to tip. Awesome. More money in the pocket. I tipped well though. Long story short, the train was an hour and a half late getting into Tampa, and we got into Miami over two hours later than originally scheduled. This means that we were on the train for just about 6 hours. Not that much fun. I mean, it kinda was...we had movies and such to watch...but yeah...I think long train rides can only be good if you know you're going to be on the train for a really long time and it runs on schedule. So that was Thursday's traveling.
Sunday:
Bus from Miami to Tallahassee. Supposed to be 8 hours. Long enough as is. Flat tire. 2 hour delay. 10 hour bus ride. And they wouldn't play Blazing Saddles because, and I quote, "it was a western shoot-em-up movie and no one wants to watch that." Dear Jesus, in honor of your resurrection, can you make sure that people realize a satire when they see one? Especially when the director is MEL BROOKS? Thanks. Love, J.
Tuesday: I'm just gonna go by times(all local times btw)
3:30 AM - picked up by cab to get to Greyhound station
4:30 AM - bus is supposed to leave
5:20 AM - bus actually leaves Tally
11:30 AM - bus arrives in Tampa, an hour late
12:00 PM - Jeremy gets to the airport, checks in, and waits
4:45 PM - flight to Phoenix leaves (yeah, that's right. 4 hour wait)
9:30 PM - Jeremy arrives in Sac, takes Super Shuttle to dorm
10:30 PM - Jeremy posts this and crashes.

Total time spent traveling this trip(including wait time for delays, etc.): 50 hours, 22 of which were from Tuesday alone(1:30AM-10:30PM Western time)

No comments: