Thursday, October 07, 2004

The Continuation of "The Acceptance of Diversity, or As You Like It"

Today, I recieved an e-mail back from Prof. Cramer:

Jeremy,
Does it seem odd? In a cynical way, no. I can readily imagine that the Chancellor is quite sincere but that people in Housing had no idea that Saturday was Yom Kippur (or felt they had no options to do otherwise given a tight schedule). More cynically, I can even imagine that the Chancellor put out his announcement for PR purposes but didn't intend to follow it exactly; but knowing the Chancellor personally, I very much doubt this.
Question: you say there were two move-in days. Did students have a choice which day to move in, or were half assigned one day and the others assigned the other day? If students were assigned, did they have an option to request the other day?
Jim Cramer



And this was my response:


Dear Dr. Cramer,
On the school's calendar, it only listed Sept. 25th as a move-in day, however, I later learned that there were two move-in days. Half of the housing had the 25th as a move-in day, and the other half moved in on the 26th. I do not know whether or not they had the option of requesting the other day. The students were assigned a specific day that their dorm was having their move-in day. For example, in the Cuarto Area, two halls moved in on the 25th, and two moved in on the 26th.
While I doubt the Chancellor put his announcement out for PR purposes, and also while the dates did not affect me personally, I still find the message to be ironic. I also think there could have been ways around it and completely avoid the situation. For example, UC Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz, also on the quarter system, moved in the week before. This difference in dates only changes their academic schedule slightly.
Obviously, I don't think anything can be accomplished about this year's move-in date, however, it is something that I believe the administration should take into consideration when planning school-wide events.
Respectfully,
Jeremy Gimbel

No comments: