Thursday, September 16, 2004

A day of randomness? Or just a Rosh Hashana thing?

Or maybe, I'm just having one of those really odd days. Sometimes it's good to have a strange day. A day where you really don't know why you're doing what you're doing, but you do it anyway, and the most random things happen while you are doing the most random of things. I guess being more specific would probably be helpful.
Today, I woke up, had breakfast, went to go pick up Buddy's guitar(random #1) for tonight's service. When I got to Buddy's, he showed me everything like I wouldn't have expected picks and a capo to be in the pick box in the guitar. I understand that it's his baby...whatever...random. Then I went to the post office to drop off two packages to wherehouse records. It's pretty cool. For 9 bucks, I sent CDs off which will give me about $200 credit at Wherehouse.com. Pretty cool. Also, pretty random.
After some time at home getting ready for services, my dad and I drove to the Civic Theater, where my Temple holds High Holiday services, listening to Air America radio's Randi Rhodes show. She had on a guy who was the founder of "nametheoctobersurprise.com" which wasn't that random, but the concept behind the site is just scary. Karl Rove's past candidates (Nixon was one of them, I think Bush Sr. was another) almost always have an "October" surprise which seals the win for them. For Nixon's second term, Kissinger said, in October, something along the lines of "we are at peace." This set the nation at ease and won the election for Nixon. There were many other details involved in the election, and this wasn't the only reason they won, however, it just goes to show how evil and scary Rove is. Anyway, the rational for the site is to guess what Bush's October surprise will be. Some of them, scarily, could very well come true.
One of them especially caught my interest. It's been pretty widely rumored that Osama will be caught in October. This caller's idea was an expansion of the rumor. His prediction was that Osama would be found. In Iraq. Under the protection of the insurgents. This way, Bush can say "see, I was right!" in a nice little package and Kerry wouldn't have time to respond, unfortunately. Again, not that random. Just scary.
Back to the randomness of the day.
So when I got to the Civic theater, I unloaded my gear and saw an Expedition on the sidewalk. I didn't really think much of it because it was a loading dock, after all, and there were a few other cars in the area. My Dad pulled me over, though, and pointed out something I hadn't noticed at first glance: Mayor Dick Murphy's body guard was helping him in, went around to the other side, and then drove off. You wouldn't have noticed the car to be any different unless you had seen what I had, but it was still really cool to see a civic leader up close and personal. I'll admit it, I still get star struck about those kinds of people. It happened with Yoffie, and now it happened with Mayor Murphy.
I also don't know if I was unimpressed or impressed with his entourage, or lack thereof. In one way, the fact that he had a special car was something I didn't really expect. Then again, I really had never given the security detail on a Mayor any thought. Anyway, pretty random.
Once I got inside, my ear, which had just been annoying, started acting up and I could barely hear out of my right ear. I asked Dr. Feldman about it, and he got me meds for an ear infection. Kinda random. Rather, just unfortunate and irritating. Anyway, it's really productive to song lead, nonetheless be a part of a makeshift band, without the ability to hear well out of one ear. I'm assuming from reactions of others that it sounded good. I really have no idea. Pretty random though. (I'm at 11 times using the word "random", notwithstanding this past time)
Now it's a new year. Kinda like a new month. But less often.

No comments: